Strata Various: Mastering and Merging Materials in Mosaic with visiting artist Kelley Knickerbocker
Fri. 6:30p-9p Sat. & Sun. 10a-5p
STRATA VARIOUS: MASTERING AND MERGING MATERIALS IN MOSAIC
OBJECTIVE: to learn to see unique potential in any material, and then maximize that potential by shape, angle, spacing, contrast and proximity to other materials.
HOW YOU WILL GET THERE:
1. By processing a variety of materials (stone, glass, ceramic and more) with a variety of tools.
2. By creating idea boards as visual reminders of the new material properties you're discovering
3. By creating a small ungrouted mosaic in a stratified (repeating horizontal or vertical lines) format (no design pressure!).
1. Building and rigging your own lightweight durable substrate.
2. The amazing properties of thinset mortar (tip, embed, nestle and build up those tesserae).
3. Effective use of empty space (vive la vacancy!).
4. Smoothing and finishing the surface and edges of your mosaic.
5. The infinite value of mistakes, surprises and laughter in creation of process
Fee $350.00 + materials $25.00